It's Just a Part of Life

It's an entirely unspecific blog, containing nothing more than the thoughts wandering through my overcluttered brain at any one time. Proceed with caution!

Thursday, August 11

Journals

I'll make a confession. I own about a dozen journals. Nice ones. Suede covered, designer covered, blank pages, lined pages, handcrafted ones, ones with quotes from famous people on the tops and bottoms of the pages, ones with hard covers, ones with soft covers, one with Alice in Wonderland pictures... I'm in love with journals.

Having said that, I'll make another confession... very few of them have anything written inside. You see, my life is very boring, as you may well have figured out by reading my blog. And nothing seems important enough to write down inside such nice journals. Of course that doesn't stop me from buying them. Or getting them as gifts.

I have a shelf next to my bed, where I always have at least one journal waiting. Why? Because sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with something stuck in my head. An idea, a character for a short story, a poem, some bit of philosophy. I'll grab the book, scribble it down and go back to sleep.

I also have a reading journal, where I write my reflections about books that I've read. I don't use it as often as I should, probably because I don't keep it next to my bed, where I do most of my reading. I'll probably move it tomorrow, now that I've thought of it. But I may forget.

I also saw a preview today, for The Brothers Grimm, a movie about the writers of the wonderfully violent stories that Disney has twisted and molded into cheerful little musical cartoons with amazingly domesticated animals who like to help clean houses. It opens August 26th, I will certainly be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home